[isabelle-dev] Future of permanent_interpretation

Florian Haftmann florian.haftmann at informatik.tu-muenchen.de
Thu Oct 29 11:31:59 CET 2015

Hi Clemens et al.,

let me put things in a broader perspective. I think we have two views on
the whole machinery:

* The algebraic view with locales, sublocale statements and (somehow
global) interpretation statements. This view is important because it
essentially describes the implementation of the whole thing.

* The »local everything« view, where you have certain targets which
which might internally be called »subscribes«, a permanent connection to
existing locales covered by a locale expression. Internally, this falls
back to existing mechanism, particularly »sublocale« for subscriptions
into locales. But note that this is only the typical sandwich principle
of target implementations, similiarly to definitions in locales which
are essentially global definitions plus an abbreviation, which appears
in theory text as plain »definition« nonetheless!

(Also note that »subclass« is something special between type classes
only, it is not a generic »local everything« construct.)

We may well come to the conclusion that both views are legitimate to be
present in user space, i.e. as isar keywords; although this is not very
common in Isabelle, it may be attributed to the complexity of the
machinery itself.

However I forsee two possible future extensions where both notions are
in conflict an a decision has to be made.

Starting point: there has been the decision that »interpretation« in
confined contexts (locales, classes, nested contexts, …) denotes
epheremal interpretation.  This fits nicely with »interpret« in proofs.

But

a) Also a theory is a confined context »theory … begin … end«; although
we are technically far off from that, in future it might be possible to
issue interpretation epheremal inside a particular theory only, and in
the current setting this would just be »interpretation«, demanding an
alternative keyword for subscriptions into theories.

b) Similarly, also interpretation in a »context … begin … end« block
might include a subscription into the surrounding target, leaving
additional premises in the results of subscription.  As a possible
example, think of conditionally complete lattices which subscribe to a
existing complete
lattice locale under the premise of an additional predicate.  Again, if
the surrounding target is a theory, how would the keyword look like, as
»interpretation« is already needed for epheremal interpretation?

So, if we want to maintain both views in the long run consistenly, we must
1) either find an alternative keyword for interpretation/subscription
into theories
2) or find an alternative keyword for epheremal interpretation.

In the light of this, some minor remarks:

Note that it is just a restriction of the current implementation that
permanent_interpretation requires either a theory or a locale/class
target; each target is able to provide its own implementation for that,
and currently only these to do so.

»definition« in locale targets is essentially an abbreviation, but
called that nonetheless.

It is not clear whether the »lifetime« of theories should exceed the
final »end« or not.

According to my feelings, the whole locale machinery is an excellent and
powerful part of the systems.  The addition of mixin definitions as
special case of mixin rewrites do not touch the foundations (locale.ML /
expression.ML) at all – there is no restriction to achieve the same
result withotuh them.

--

PGP available: