[isabelle-dev] Future of permanent_interpretation

Florian Haftmann florian.haftmann at informatik.tu-muenchen.de
Thu Nov 19 15:00:40 CET 2015

Hi Clemens,

thanks for your feedback.

> I have seen that you use the term 'mixin definition' in NEWS and
isar-ref.  I'm not sure this is needed but if so it must be explained.

This is part of the still ongoing struggle for consistent terminology.
Concerning equations, the term »rewrite morphisms« is established, but
this actually fits equally to equations and definitions alike.  The
difference is just how such morphisms are specified.  Correct phrases
induced by definitions«, but this is way to long.  Maybe »rewrite
equations« and »rewrite definitions« is something we could converge towards.

> Regarding your concerns b) and c) I'm not sure I fully understand
them.  Regarding b), while it might be conceptually possible to make an
interpretation from a locale context (say) in a theory, I don't think
the proof document would read very well.  Regarding c), making an
interpretation in a theory but confine it to the closing "end" keyword
of the theory, this is conceivable, but do we have a use case for this?

Concerning c), a use case could be to activate some fancy syntax exactly
during the scope of a single theory, without spoiling descendant theories.

A sketched example for b):

	locale complete_lattice_syntax =
          fixes inf sup and Inf Sup

	locale complete_lattice = complete_lattice_syntax +
          assumes …

	locale conditionally_complete_lattice = complete_lattice_syntax
        begin

	definition some_funny_predicate …