[isabelle-dev] Non-responding Isabelle/jEdit and Monitor panel

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Wed Nov 11 11:40:12 CET 2015

On Wed, 11 Nov 2015, Fabian Immler wrote:

> I observed (in at least a99125aa964f) that when Isabelle/jEdit has been
> running for some time (about 2 to 4 hours perhaps), the GUI starts to
> "hang": every 3-4 seconds, the GUI does not respond to inputs for about
> half a second. I realized that this is apparently related to the Monitor
> panel: clicking "Reset" there resolves the problem.

The "jedit" manual section 5.1 has some hints about considerable resource
requirements of Monitor, but it is not very specific.

There is this general principle, that a jEdit dockable remains active
after being opened once.  Monitor also has an "ML statistics" checkbox,
which is a clone of the one in Plugin Options / Isabelle / General.  The
default of that could be changed to "false", but it is unclear if this
helps: after enabling it for actual use of Monitor, it remains enabled
persistently.

There might be actually a different problem behind all this: when the JVM
heaps fills up gradually, it can get in a very bad situation.  My
impression is that Java 8 is worse than Java 7, but I don't have any
proofs for it.  It might be also a matter how Java 8 heap parameters are
set.