[isabelle-dev] Update of jdk and jedit components

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Wed Nov 4 15:55:20 CET 2015

On Wed, 4 Nov 2015, Mathias Fleury wrote:

> I am a bit surprised that the content of the tooltips and the output
> panel can be changed (both in 6d513469f9b2 and Isabelle_23-Oct-2015).
>
> Step to reproduce:
>  * open a theory file
>  * type a lemma
>  * select some text of the output panel
>  * type any letter
>
> Result: the selected text is gone and replaced by what has been typed.
> Expected: the output panel should not be changed.

This odd behaviour stems from d40f906bb13f, which is the update to
jedit-5.3.0.  The jedit-changes file says:

   - Allow editing, but not saving, of read only files.
     (Feature request #422 - Dale Anson)

The corresponding tracker item
http://sourceforge.net/p/jedit/feature-requests/422 reads like this:

   Jedit must allow user to make edits in a readonly files. It is very
   wrong to disable this in any case: jedit is the _text editor_

Just from the wording, the feature request was formally wrong, and would
not have gone through on any Isabelle mailing list.

This incident means I need to figure out a different way to avoid edits on
output-only text areas.