[isabelle-dev] Deprecating legacy ASCII symbols?

Tobias Nipkow nipkow at in.tum.de
Tue Jun 30 16:26:24 CEST 2015

I have no objection to phasing out some of the ASCII symbols. For me the main
advantage is that they provide a graphic image that one can quickly recall as an
input shortcut: ==> comes to mind more quickly than some alphabetic name and I
would not want to lose that. But freeing them up in the input syntax (as opposed
to the shortcuts) is not much of a gain because one cannot reasonably reuse
them. But there is indeed quite a bit of duplication, eg & and /\, | and \/.

Some symbols like ! and ? are quick to type but I wouldn't call them "graphical"
and am not particularly attached to them. In fact, one could then give factorial
its standard syntax.

Tobias