[isabelle-dev] »real« considered harmful

Larry Paulson lp15 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Jun 24 15:55:54 CEST 2015

The first question is, do we need a prefix syntax for type constraints? My point was that the ability to write

	[:real:]of_nat k

might be better than having to introduce and abbreviations such as real_of_nat, but this is not clear. The latter has the advantage that it is automatically introduced when the term has the matching type, and we would not want the pretty printer to insert [:real:] all over the place, but only when it is necessary.

A more appropriate point is that it can be tricky in Isabelle/jEdit to determine the type of an expression such as “of_nat k”, as there is nothing to click on.

Larry