[isabelle-dev] Remaining uses of defer_recdef?

Tobias Nipkow nipkow at in.tum.de
Mon Jun 8 13:52:46 CEST 2015

A frequent use case is this: you have 5-10 interesting patterns where stuff
happens and an otherwise pattern with a simple rhs. In that case you do want to
write those 5-10 patterns explicitly and let the definition facility take care
of the hundreds of patterns that the default case expands to. You don't really
care that the induction has hundreds of cases because they are trivial. In
contrast, rewriting such a definition to avoid the blowup is a pain in the
backside and is not guaranteed to make proofs simpler.

Tobias