[isabelle-dev] TYPE_MATCH exception with adhoc_overloading

Florian Haftmann florian.haftmann at informatik.tu-muenchen.de
Thu Jan 29 19:44:26 CET 2015

Am 28.01.2015 um 13:37 schrieb Christian Sternagel:
> During a visit of Florian in Innsbruck we had some discussion on adhoc
> overloading. One suspicion was that schematic type variables from
> variants had to be "paramified" before using the resulting type unifier.
>
> I tried to do so in the attached patch. Unfortunately, I still obtain
> the following error in
>
>   ~~/src/HOL/ex/Adhoc_Overloading_Examples.thy
>
>   Illegal schematic type variable: ?'a2
>
> Please let me know if you have any comments on this topic (especially on
> what is going on in the function "unify_filter").

The idea was to imitate how regular constants are handled by type
inference.  I am not sure whether I interpreted the sources right during
our session, and I did not have a close look at the patch either.

Beside that, the same applies as mentioned in my previous post on ad-hoc
overloading.

All the best,
	Florian