[isabelle-dev] Example for global interpretation into instantiation [was: Future of permanent_interpretation]

Clemens Ballarin ballarin at in.tum.de
Wed Dec 23 21:37:00 CET 2015

Hi Florian,

I didn't have time to look at your patches, and since I only have superficial knowledge of instantiation contexts I didn't fully understand the example either.  I guess though that the purpose of these global interpretations is to propagate some constant declarations into the surrounding theory.  If this is useful we should certainly have such a command.

What I still fail to understand is why you want to use 'global_interpretation' as keyword if the command occurs directly in a theory.  This is redundant.  I now take this as a temporary solution until there is some better terminology for distinguishing kinds of interpretations, and I very much hope that we will not get into another debate about renaming 'interpretation' to 'global_interpretation' or similar after the 2016 release.

Clemens