[isabelle-dev] Isabelle/jEdit hangs on exit

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Sat Apr 18 21:50:06 CEST 2015

On Sat, 11 Apr 2015, Lars Noschinski wrote:

> I sometimes managed to hang Isabelle/jEdit by:
>
>  * changing multiple files
>  * selecting "quit"
>  * in the dialog asking me whether I want to save all files, clicking
>    on "Select All" then "Save Selected"
>
> The editor hang for a few minutes, till I killed it with SIGKILL
> (SIGTERM didn't suffice). Most recently, this happened with 19e5f5ac7b59.

Such a SIGKILL situation is generally bad.  It means that the JVM is
somehow locked-up in a worse-than-normal way, although I don't understand
the details of it.

I have sporadically seen the same over the past few years. Such incidents
are too rare to pin them down, though.

If you see it happening more often, it might help to run Isabelle/jEdit
like this:

   isabelle jedit -j-log=1 >log

and later inspect the log file.

There is also a default log file $ISABELLE_HOME_USER/jedit/activity.log
but it only contains messages of higher priority.  (There might be ways to
configure that in jEdit.)