[isabelle-dev] datatype takes minutes, but timing panel shows 10s

Jasmin Blanchette jasmin.blanchette at inria.fr
Thu Apr 9 15:44:29 CEST 2015

Hi Andreas,

> In Isabelle2014, processing this datatype declaration takes about one minute. So what has happened in between? (The Isabelle2014 timing panel is also way off with 8 seconds.)

Thanks for your report. What happened in between is that we generate more theorems. I suspect one or a few of them have tactics that scale poorly (e.g. cubic) in the number of constructors.

As for the timing panel, I suspect it does not take into consideration the time spent in tactics with multithreading on, but I’m not an expert there.

We’ll look into this. You could try “quick_and_dirty” around that particular datatype to make things more tolerable in the meantime.

Cheers,

Jasmin