[isabelle-dev] Products over lists – naming convention for big sums and products.

Johannes Hölzl hoelzl at in.tum.de
Wed Sep 24 12:18:32 CEST 2014

Am Donnerstag, den 18.09.2014, 15:47 +0200 schrieb Florian Haftmann:
> Changeset #fe083c681ed8 introduces products over lists.  There has been
> some private discussion whether there could be a serious attempt to
> establish a new consistent naming scheme for summation and products over
> collections.
>
> a) for lists: sum_list (← listsum), prod_list (← listprod)
> b) for multisets: Sum_mset (← msetsum), Prod_mset (← msetprod)
> c) for finite sets: Sum (← setsum), Prod (← setprod)

I assume a) means Sum_list and Prod_list?!

Why Sum and not Sum_set in c)? Is the intention that the canonical type
always gets the short name? Like map instead of map_list.

And why upper case Sum instead of sum?

 - Johannes

PS: Maybe c) could be tackled in the future when we have a hypothetical
constant/lemma renaming tool.