[isabelle-dev] [isabelle] Imperative_HOL: code generator setup for Haskell

Christian Sternagel c.sternagel at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 14:29:26 CEST 2014

moved from isabelle-users
*************************

Dear all,

In the attached theory files I tried to follow the "let Haskell moan if
it is not linear" approach. And on first sight it seems to work.

My motivation is to be able to use imperative code inside pure functions
(in the sense that the result type is not "'a Heap"). E.g., for
IsaFoR/CeTA it would be unrealistic to change the result type of all our
check-functions into "'a Heap" for some 'a, just to be able, to use,
e.g., more efficient unification via union-find with arrays.

What I did in the attached theory files is essentially make a copy of
the Imperative/HOL development using "'a Heap" and adding an additional
phantom type parameter 's (for state) *everywhere* (i.e., heap monad,
array type and operations, ref type and operations, ...). Finally there
is a function "runST :: (unit, 'a) st => 'a" (where "('s, 'a) st" more
or less corresponds to the previous "'a Heap") which is code generated
to Haskell's "runST :: (forall s. ST s a) -> a". It's logical definition
is "runST c = (case execute c initial_state of Some (x, _) => x)" where
"initial_state" is "State ST_Heap.empty" for the new datatypes

   's state = State (heap : heap) (*heap is almost the same as the
original heap)

and

   (dead 's, 'a) st = ST (execute : "'s state => ('a * 's state) option")

Of course this approach only works for Haskell (more specifically for
compilers that support rank-2 types).

I guess the previous Imperative/HOL could be regained by instantiating
's to some concrete "RealWorld" token.

What do you think?

cheers

chris