[isabelle-dev] Algebra and number theory in Isabelle/HOL

Florian Haftmann florian.haftmann at informatik.tu-muenchen.de
Wed Nov 12 19:27:01 CET 2014

Hi all,

thanks for the valuable comments.

Apart from integrating feedback, I added one aim which clarifies my
intention:

  * Give a suitable algebraic foundation for number-theory-related
    material in @{text ‹HOL-Main›} (@{const gcd}, @{const div},
    @{const mod}}) to provide generic theorems without pulling (too
    much) algebra into.  Key insight: class hierarchy may be augmented
    later by additional intermediate points.

> I noticed a remark about the treatment of signs in integer division. You mention two constraints but overlook a third: standard textbooks say that the remainder should have the same sign as the divisor, so that for example -1 mod 2 = 1 and therefore -1 div 2 = -1. Computer hardware get this wrong.

Thanks for that bit of information.

> * Take care about the names of the algebraic structures. By PIR
> (principal ideal ring) some authors mean a commutative ring with
> identity in which every ideal is principal, using the name PID
> (principal ideal domain) for integral domains in which every ideal is
> principal. But other authors say that a PIR is an integral domain in
> which every ideal is principal. The same happens to Euclidean
> domain/Euclidean ring, Unique Factorization Domain/Factorial ring and so
> on. It would be desirable to follow the same convention for every structure.

Concerning this agenda I do not see a point where I touch the questions
of ring ideals anyway (this might seem strange to an algebraist).  The
only existing type class we have in HOL-Main involving »domain« are the
type classes for integral domains (semi)dom and I treat those as given
as they are.

> * In the first assumption of the factorial_semiring class, maybe is "a
> is not an unit" instead of "a is not 1"?

Yes, indeed.  Thanks for checking.

> * If an operation is_prime is fixed in a factorial_semiring class, as
> far as I know then it would not be possible to prove that each euclidean
> ring is a factorial ring by means of subclasses (unless the
> euclidean_ring class is changed). Could is_prime be a definition in the
> comm_ring class? In addition, prime and irreducible elements are defined
> in commutative rings (there they are different, but in UFD they are the
> same).

Yes, something like that.  The details can easily worked out (or
changed) once the specifications are there.

Thanks a lot,
	Florian

--

PGP available: