[isabelle-dev] HOL/Number_Theory/Primes

Florian Haftmann florian.haftmann at informatik.tu-muenchen.de
Sat Nov 8 08:42:42 CET 2014

Hi all,

On 07.11.2014 18:34, Tobias Nipkow wrote:
> Thanks for finding this out. The theorem is
>
> (A) "a dvd b ==> b mod a = 0"
>
> This applies to any term "a mod b" and creates a subgoal "a dvd b".
> Normally, that is not too bad. But if a and b are numerals, this leads
> to a loop with the rewrite rule Divides.dvd_eq_mod_eq_0_numeral:
>
> (B) (numeral ?x dvd numeral ?y) = (numeral ?y mod numeral ?x = 0)
>
> The enormous runtimes where due to this loop. It was not an infinite
> loop because the simplifier has a depth limit.
>
> Clearly, we cannot have such a loop. Either mod can use dvd or the other
> way around, but not both.

a simple solution would to take out (A) as simp rule again.  On the
other hand, the rule makes perfectly sense (similar to something like n
< m ==> n - m = 0).  So it would be an option to spell out
simplification rules for »numeral ?x dvd numeral ?y« explicitly using
type class semiring_numeral_div.  I would take care of this if nobody
objects.

Thanks for figuring out,
	Florian

--