[isabelle-dev] Experiments in best-first-search rewriter

Tobias Nipkow nipkow at in.tum.de
Sun Nov 2 20:50:45 CET 2014

Hi Bohua,

There is an awful lot of literature on rewriting which you may want to look at.
A good starting point is the practically unbeatable equational prover
Waldmeister http://www.waldmeister.org/ which is also available via
sledgehammer. It uses something called unfailing completion, which is an
efficient semidecision procedure for equational logic. Why do I mention
Waldmeister? Because it should do the (purely equational) job when simp fails.

Of course there is something to be said for a more lightweight tool than
Waldmeister, eg something like your rewriter. It certainly does happen that simp
goes into a loop, although we have learned to prove around such situations.
Moreover, BFS could be a very costly way of avoiding loops. Note also that I am
not aware of any other prover that comes with a built-in BFS rewriter. This
could indicate that in practice BFS is not that useful after all.

This may sound very negative, but I would merely suggest to establish that there
is a market for your approach before investing significant time on it.

Best
Tobias