[isabelle-dev] NEWS: avoid the Complex constructor, use the more natural

Manuel Eberl eberlm at in.tum.de
Tue May 13 14:11:48 CEST 2014

Yes, but the underlying reason for that is that complex numbers are
isomorphic to pairs of real numbers, and binary product types are
"degenerate" (I would rather say very basic) co-algebraic datatypes.

So my point (and I would guess Andrei's as well) is that this really has
nothing to do with complex numbers, it is a general observation about
types that are isomorphic to product types. In particular, any algebraic
datatype with only one constructor can be rewritten into a corresponding
codatatype, allowing you to use primcorec for it.

Manuel