[isabelle-dev] isabelle-dev Digest, Vol 84, Issue 31

Andrei Popescu uuomul at yahoo.com
Sat May 24 13:47:30 CEST 2014

Hi Makarius,

>> (1) Its definition looks terrific:

>> datatype_new (set: 'a) list (map: map rel: list_all2) =
>>    =: Nil (defaults tl: "[]")  ("[]")
>>  | Cons (hd: 'a) (tl: "'a list")  (infixr "#" 65)

By all "means" terrific.  :-)
From Merriam-Webster dictionary, terrific can mean:

1: frightful

2: unusually fine

These items that the user traditionally takes the trouble to define "by hand" are now provided

for free for any (co)datatype: the selectors and discriminators, the set function, the relator.

These names that seem to clutter the specification are entirely optional -- if not specified,

default names are produced.

You of course know all these, but I wanted to take this opportunity to reiterate the advances

of the new (co)datatype.

Cheers,

  Andrei