[isabelle-dev] NEWS: Improved management of dockable windows

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Mon May 12 14:26:36 CEST 2014

* Improved management of dockable windows: clarified keyboard focus
and window placement wrt. main editor view; optional menu item to
"Detach" a copy where this makes sense.

This refers to Isabelle/c2ddbf327bbd.

After the docking framework of jEdit came up again in recent discussions
on this mailing list, I looked again at http://mydoggy.sourceforge.net/
and found it unmaintained: MyDoggy 1.5.0 (Beta 1) Released: December,
2010. The main benefit of its integration as alternative docking mechanism
into jEdit seems to be the generalization of the underlying infrastructure
in the editor, done by Shlomy Reinstein in 2010/2011.

So I set out to make my own "PIDE" docking framework, which is already
enabled by default.  See also
http://isabelle.in.tum.de/repos/isabelle/file/c2ddbf327bbd/src/Tools/jEdit/src/pide_docking_framework.scala

Such moves are always dangerous, because there is now one more thing to
take care of. I have already patched the regular FloatingWindowContainer
to use JDialog windows, in order to keep then organized with the main
editor window, and not falling *behind* it like JFrame sometimes does
(notably on Mac OS X, especially in full-screen mode).

Another interesting spin-off is
http://isabelle.in.tum.de/repos/isabelle/file/c2ddbf327bbd/src/Pure/General/untyped.scala
which proves that Java was done by old LISP guys.