[isabelle-dev] JDK 8 release

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Thu Mar 20 14:41:09 CET 2014

According to the plan (which was revised many times before), Oracle
has released official JDK 8 two days ago.  See also
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

It is interesting to see that Java 8 now takes pride in functional
programming basics, with several decades of delay.  When I was a young
student, there was this odd social phenomenon that the label
"object-oriented" had to be attached to everything that considered itself
important and "up-to-date", but times have changed a lot.

For us, slight reforms of the Java source language are not of primary
importance.  What counts is the JVM as basis for the higher-order
object-oriented functional parallel-and-asynchronous programming of Scala
-- Odersky had the 10th anniversary recently.

I did not have time yet to try out JDK 8 systematically, but it still
looks fine after 5min of testing.  People who want to do it themselves can
add something like this to $ISABELLE_HOME_USER/etc/settings:

   ISABELLE_JDK_HOME="/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0.jdk/Contents/Home"

where the directory in question is the regular JAVA_HOME of a normal
installation of JDK from Oracle.

It is important to keep such manual changes of settings in mind, when
official Isabelle components of newer versions of JDK 8 become available
eventually (maybe after 1 or 2 more releases by Oracle).

For the summer release of Isabelle, we should be routinely on JDK 8 on all
platforms as usual.  (Hopefully with less problems due to Linux window
manager fragmentation, although this affects only a minority of users.)