[isabelle-dev] NEWS: New (co)datatype package is now in Main

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Thu Jan 23 15:32:06 CET 2014

On Thu, 23 Jan 2014, Lawrence Paulson wrote:

> I still use it sometimes, but it could be better. I don’t think the
> quality of the layout is actually that important.

You can actually try the "graphview" right now by searching on this
mailing list, when it was announced.  That quickly lead to the observation
of practical unusability, though.

> Part of the problem is that, these days, you have to jump through a
> dozen hoops just to enable Java in a web browser.

The Java applet was done in 1996 as an experiment to see if that is a way
to get gradually more and more user-interface components for Isabelle.
Times have changed a lot since then, and Java applets are generally out,
due to severe security problems.  Oracle still fights a lost war there,
and produces "critical-patch updates" for JDK quite often, e.g. JDK 7u51
just a few days ago.  (Problems are usually for applets, web-start, or
application servers, occasionally attacks on the regular download and
install process.)

We are still on the relatively old jdk-7u40 from last year, since none of
the patches are criticial for us, because Isabelle/Scala and
Isabelle/jEdit are normal local applications.

As Isabelle/jEdit becomes more and more capable to do traditional
"browsing" of theory libraries, the old static web pages might be
de-emphasized further.