[isabelle-dev] Safe approach to hypothesis substitution mark II

Lawrence Paulson lp15 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Jan 13 15:37:53 CET 2014

I think the problem is that the unsafe situations cannot be detected locally, i.e., there is no way for the tactic to know that a particular free variable is actually a locale constant. I could be wrong: the current treatment of contexts may make this information available after all. That would be the best solution.

But if this contextual information is not available, then I think that some sort of compatibility mode will unfortunately be necessary, given the number of instances where introducing the safe behaviour causes proofs to fail. I have to say, in most cases these are tricky proofs that refer to specific assumptions, but lots of these still exist.

Larry