[isabelle-dev] Isabelle/jEdit: JVM crash

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Tue Dec 9 17:40:12 CET 2014

On Tue, 9 Dec 2014, Christian Sternagel wrote:

> Today Isabelle/jEdit grayed out and became irresponsive after switching
> from one thy file to another (with C+`). So I waited about 1 minute and
> when nothing seemed to change I killed the corresponding process. As a
> result I obtained the attached log-file. While this grayout effect is
> not completely new to me (but rather rare) this was the first time that
> I saw this kind of log-file.

This is a JVM crash log caused by SIGSEGV.  Which signal number did you
actually use for the kill?

It looks like the main AWT thread crashed while trying to load class
bytecode from jar files -- but this reading is up to interpretation.
Sometimes such a problem is caused by implicit updates of the Pure.jar or
jedit.jar files.  I usually do "isabelle jedit -bf" with a fresh start.

> isabelle components -l
>
> Available components:
>   /home/griff/.isabelle/contrib/jdk-7u72

That is the default jdk from Admin/components/main e.g. in 8281f83d286f

>   /home/griff/.isabelle/contrib/jdk-8u20

That is a separate jdk, maybe a left-over from some test in
$ISABELLE_HOME_USER/etc/components or elsewhere.  I recommend to disable
Java 8 for now -- Oracle is far behind in making it really stable; maybe
they manage next year ...

> Btw: How can I tell which of the jdk components is actually used?

For the sake of Isabelle settings, ISABELLE_JDK_HOME is the main entry
point.  It is used to enforce JAVA_HOME based on it. With several
components setting that the last one should win: the JVM crash log also
says 8.0_20-b26.

Since you are on Fedora 20, you may also try the on-board OpenJDK, by
setting ISABELLE_JDK_HOME accordingly.  You can explore the result with
"isabelle java", e.g. "isabelle java -version".

> Z3_NON_COMMERCIAL="yes"

You can remove that and use option preferences instead, e.g. see
Isabelle/jEdit plugin properties: Isabelle / General / Miscellaneous Tools
/ Z3 Non Commercial.