[isabelle-dev] Remaining uses of Proof General?

Peter Lammich lammich at in.tum.de
Mon Apr 28 11:17:16 CEST 2014

I'm still a regular user of PG. From time to time, I test
Isabelle/jEdit, and my reasons for switching back to PG are somewhat
similar to what Andreas reported. My main problems with Isabelle/JEdit
are:

1. I cannot really control what Isabelle/Jedit processes when, and it
invests computation power on the meaningless parts of the file
directly after the point where I am editing. I'm not even convinced that
it is the right approach to let Isabelle/jEdit's heuristics decide when
and what it processes, and make user intervention impossible at first
place (Or even worse, force the user into workarounds like inserting
semicolons or "end"s behind the current editing point, which seems to be
common practice among Isabelle/jEdit users)

2. In PG, when the processed region reaches the end of a theory file, I
can be pretty sure that everything is fine with this theory. In
Isabelle/jEdit, I have to scan the theory status panel manually for
remaining red or pink bars, which is very inconvenient for large
projects with hundreds of files.

Moreover, I find it a bit scary that severe errors related to
Isabelle/jEdit's document processing model (cf.
https://lists.cam.ac.uk/mailman/htdig/cl-isabelle-users/2013-November/msg00170.html)
can go undiscovered for several month, although most Isabelle users are
on Isabelle/jEdit these days. I ask myself: Have they got so used to
strange behaviours of the IDE that they do not realize severe errors any
more?

--
  Peter