[isabelle-dev] Remaining uses of Proof General?

Matthew Fernandez matthew.fernandez at nicta.com.au
Mon Apr 28 01:41:40 CEST 2014

On 28/04/14 04:14, Makarius wrote:
 > Are there any remaining uses of Proof General, e.g. in the situation of current
 > Isabelle/5b6f4655e2f2 ?

I'm mostly on Isabelle/jEdit now, but I do delve back into Isabelle/Emacs (is that the current
terminology for this creature?) every now and then. My reasons are mostly predictable execution, as
I can control what the prover is up to with explicit stepping forwards and backwards. I can probably
achieve the same result toggling continuous checking on/off in Isabelle/jEdit, but haven't invested
the time in modifying my workflow. I've also encountered the problems discussed in other threads of
the Isabelle/jEdit GUI locking up when some tactic is looping and the JVM heap being exhausted with
no indication from the UI. However, if PG support disappeared entirely I wouldn't shed a tear.

Something which used to be a driving factor for me, but no longer is: Isabelle/Emacs is capable of
running on underpowered machines which do not have enough resources to run Isabelle/jEdit. This is
not a good reason for maintaining legacy support, but there may be users in this situation.