[isabelle-dev] NEWS: Spell-checker support

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Tue Apr 15 23:01:29 CEST 2014

On Mon, 14 Apr 2014, Makarius wrote:

> The present Isabelle component jortho-1.0-1 bundles the very good
> English dictionaries from http://wordlist.sourceforge.net/ which are
> also used in GNU Aspell, Hunspell (Open Office, Firefox) etc.  I might
> need to revisit that again, to make sure that the parameters for English
> variants come out exactly as normally used in aspell.

There is now another update Isabelle/2cc2cb56cbdd with the following NEWS:

* Integrated spell-checker for document text, comments etc. with
completion popup and context-menu.  See also "Plugin Options /
Isabelle / General / Spell Checker" for some system options.

I am actually trying to write an article at the moment, which means the
testing conditions are somewhat realistic, but the procedure is slow and
cumbersome.

The context menu of jEdit is now used in a more sensible way -- it allows
to update the dictionary locally, optionally with permanent storage.  As
usual, such menu items are based on jEdit "actions", which are not bound
to keyboard shortcuts by default -- according to standard jEdit customs.
Users need to find some free (function) keys themselves for the actions
that they use often.

The Isabelle component jortho-1.0-2 now makes "en" the union of all
English variants, instead of the intersection.  This was the conclusion of
studying the scowl-7.1 configuration for Aspell carefully, although I am
still not 100% sure what makes most sense.

As a foreigner who is using English on a daily basis for about 25 years, I
am still unsure which dialect it actually is.  Maybe a Bavarian version of
"en_GB-ize" according to the scowl/aspell terminology.