[isabelle-dev] NEWS: Support for Navigator plugin

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Mon Apr 7 15:40:33 CEST 2014

On Mon, 7 Apr 2014, Lars Noschinski wrote:

> On 07.04.2014 15:16, Makarius wrote:
>> Note that "keyboard shortcuts similar to major web browsers" refers to
>> A-LEFT and A-RIGHT on Windows and Linux.  On Mac OS X, that would be
>> Control-LEFT and Control-RIGHT, but it is neither a standard browser
>> key sequence, nor does it usually work at all, due to some conflicts
>> with other Apple desktop navigation functionality that I don't really
>> understand.
> A-LEFT and A-RIGHT overwrite the standard indentation bindings. I use
> CS-LEFT/RIGHT for this reason.

There is no need to use (obscure) keyboard shortcuts at all, since the
toolbar presents buttons for "back" and "forward" that should be easy to
recognize -- there are also tooltips to explain them.

In fact, until some days ago I did not know about A-LEFT and A-RIGHT of
major browsers (e.g. Firefox), but these keys were mentioned in the
Navigator plugin documentation, and recommended for rebinding in jEdit.

I do check for jEdit keymap conflicts routinely, since this is not
ESCAPE-META-ALT-CONTROL-SHIFT with an infinite space of possibilities.
There is indeed an overlap with actions called shift-left ("Sift Indent
Left") and shift-right ("Shift Indent Right"), but as far as I can tell
they are the same as S-TAB and TAB (which I am routinely using for that).