[isabelle-dev] scala-2.11.0

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Wed Apr 23 17:32:55 CEST 2014

The Scala guys have released scala-2.11.0, and we are using it since
Isabelle/5d629da46f04.  This requires the usual "isabelle components -a".

Moreover, there is some chance that sticky JVM jam from old jars is
getting in the way.  In the case of odd Java/Scala startup failures
(exceptions about classes that could not be loaded), the following
directories need to be purged manually and carefully:

   * within $ISABELLE_HOME:

     lib/classes/
     src/Tools/jEdit/dist/

   * within $ISABELLE_HOME_USER

     jedit/jars-cache

I have also taken the opportunity to brush up the general Isabelle/Scala
view on the Scala system and library (presently at Isabelle/70cc1164fb83).
The main omission is the remaining use of the old actors framework, which
was the latest and greatest thing a few years ago and is now obsolete --
Scala code decay is much faster than we are used to in our ML world.

I am presently considering to discontinue actors altogether, and merely
use the thread task pool, explicit threads, and typed channels between
them.  But I also need to see how Akka actors do it today, to get a few
more ideas, before trimming it down to the simplest possible approach.