[isabelle-dev] jdk-8u5

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Wed Apr 16 21:10:10 CEST 2014

Oracle has released a major pack of "Critical Patch Updates" for many
products, including Java 8.  This means there is nothing to see there,
except for people running application servers, or still using applets.

Since the jdk-8 "zero" release from a few weeks ago work generally well on
all platforms, I have now updated the Isabelle component to follow Oracle:
see Isabelle/ab7c656215f2.

The normal "isabelle components -a" should pull in a tar.gz of 500MB which
unpacks to approx. 1GB local disk space (as usual for all platforms
simultaneously).

People who don't use bisection within the Isabelle repository may want to
delete some unused material in $ISABELLE_HOME_USER/contrib -- potentially
keeping just the .tar.gz files.

This is also an opportunity to check that there is not any left-over
ISABELLE_JDK_HOME assignment in $ISABELLE_HOME_USER/etc/settings that
prevents moving to the official jdk from Admin/components/main.

As we are leaving Java 7 behind, there might be actual dependencies on
Java 8 functionality emerging, although I did not look systematically yet.
By accident I've come accross a version of lazy functional streams --
Welcome Java to the Club with several decades delay.