[isabelle-dev] Isabelle website

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Mon Sep 30 13:10:00 CEST 2013

On Mon, 30 Sep 2013, Makarius wrote:

> Moreover, we should reconsider the old question what to do with
> http://isabelle.in.tum.de/overview.html

Further notes on this: the general question is how to ease the first
encounter with Isbaelle after download.

People who have tested the integrated applications may already have
noticed that there is now the "Documentation" panel wide open by default.
This gives access to our long list of manuals, also a few quick-start
examples.  People need to spend a few minutes looking around to figure
this out.

I have recently added a new "jedit" manual for Isabelle/jEdit, but there
is still relatively little text, apart from the material from the old
README.  Maybe I will write a bit more when I am on vacation in the second
half of October.

This perspective can somehow be taken into account when updating the
website.  E.g. the old preview by Larry shows how to download, install,
run Isabelle, open a theory file, but this is now self-explanatory.

There could be some nice videos instead, but I still don't know how to
produce them.