[isabelle-dev] NEWS: Dockable window "Find"

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Mon Sep 23 13:25:03 CEST 2013

On Fri, 20 Sep 2013, Holger Gast wrote:

> The layers 2+3 offer extensive means of customization.
> To come back to the above example, one does, of course, not set
> StyleRanges on the SWT widget oneself. One registers with the
> JFace TextViewer's syntax highlighting mechanism and produces
> them on demand -- for instance from the semantic markup offered
> by Isabelle/Scala.

Again: Why not make this practical, and tell Andrius Velykis about it?
He has already Isabelle/Eclipse that is more than just a proof of concept
or a small demo, so it deserves to catch up with the quality standards of
Isabelle/jEdit.

>> -- and all the portability issues
>> will probably come back once again in a different form.
> Actually, probably not: the Eclipse IDE is widely used on the platforms
> that Isabelle supports and the IBM engineers are doing a constantly great
> job at keeping the differences under the hood of SWT and the whole system
> running. Since the Eclipse/JFace/SWT stack is actually used in industry
> for end-user applications, there is a lot of pressure to succeed.
> The available "delta-pack" makes it straightforward to package
> an application for different platforms.

Above you could just as well substitute IBM for Oracle, and
Eclipse/JFace/SWT for whatever frameworks Oracle has in the portfolio
(e.g. Swing, Java FX), and make syntactically the same claim.  After 5
years of working on a real application with JVM + x at the bottom, I just
don't believe any such talk about "industrial frameworks" any more.

Anyway, this thread is going in circles, back to the point where it
started 5 years ago.  The only difference is that Isabelle/jEdit has
become real in the meantime -- with a lot of extra work that was not
anticipated at the start (both due to evil companies like Oracle or Apple,
and chaotic communities like Linux XYZ).