[isabelle-dev] NEWS: Dockable window "Find"

Holger Gast gast at informatik.uni-tuebingen.de
Thu Sep 19 09:37:15 CEST 2013

On 09/18/2013 11:07 PM, Makarius wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Sep 2013, Holger Gast wrote:
>
>> Well, one more piece of information about Swing gathered. (Not very useful
>> though: like many people nowadays, I have switched to the much faster and more
>> modern SWT/JFace for my projects anyway.)
>
> I count Eclipse/SWT also as a legacy thing. In any case this is not relevant for
> Isabelle/jEdit: at the very starting point of that project was the observation
> that GUI frameworks don't count, but editor frameworks.
Funny you should say that -- especially in the context of several
recent threads about layout management, placement of popup windows,
font management, etc. ;( Obviously, the choice of UI frameworks does
matter in everyday work on UIs.

As to editor frameworks, I can at least say from personal experience
that the Eclipse/JFace text editing framework offers a very reliable,
powerful and easily extensible auto-completion mechanism.

But please, let's not prolong this rambling and futile discussion.

Cheers,

Holger