[isabelle-dev] Isabelle_10-Sep-2013

René Thiemann rene.thiemann at uibk.ac.at
Fri Sep 13 12:08:15 CEST 2013

Dear David,

>> There is definitely some continous bloat factor with every new release,
>> although David Matthews was usually ahead of most big applications in
>> recent years.  In fact he is about to release Poly/ML 5.5.1 pretty soon,
>> so a quick test with some repository version of Poly/ML might help (e.g.
>> SVN 1843).
>
> I would suggest trying with the --stackspace option e.g.
> ML_OPTIONS='--stackspace 500'
> The Fail exception with "Insufficient space" arises in a number of places such as when trying to fork a thread.  This requires memory outside the ML heap.  The stackspace option keeps some space free from the ML heap for these purposes.

I tried it, but the setting was not high enough: then even earlier sessions crash with a new
'Run out of store - interrupting threads' error message. This also happens if I set stackspace to 1500,
but it succeeded with 5000. However, then still afterwards I get the usual

poly(6820,0xb09a5000) malloc: *** mmap(size=16777216) failed (error code=12)
*** error: can't allocate region

error as before, if I use minheap=1000, or drop the minheap parameter.

> I would guess that this is when running the X86/32 version rather than X86/64.

Yes, I use the 32-bit mode. I will later run some tests when using the 64-bit mode.

Here is my current setup:

ISABELLE_BUILD_OPTIONS=""

ML_PLATFORM="x86-darwin"
ML_HOME="/Users/rene/.isabelle/contrib/polyml-5.5.0-3/x86-darwin"
ML_SYSTEM="polyml-5.5.0"
ML_OPTIONS="--minheap 1000 --stackspace 5000"

Best regards,
René