[isabelle-dev] NEWS: Improved completion mechanism

Christian Sternagel c.sternagel at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 07:20:17 CEST 2013

On 09/02/2013 06:30 PM, Makarius wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Aug 2013, Christian Sternagel wrote:
>
>> First note that for me keyboard input to Isabelle/jEdit typically
>> hangs every 10 minutes or so, depending on how fast I type (but this
>> is an old and known issue).
>
> I was hoping that it would have disappeared altogether.  So far the
> speculation was that the "hang" is due to the window manager and its
> built-in conflicts with JWindow etc. The popups are now done without
> separate window, as plain Swing JComponent.  So the persisting "hang"
> indicates some problem in more elementary key hangling or plain text
> insertion into the text buffer.
>
> I have myself done a lot of empirical tests recently on several quite
> different systems, and I am also typing very fast, but did not see any
> problem like that.
Just for the record: the above mentioned hand also sometimes happens
when typing V ... E ... R ... Y ... slowly ;). It is just more frequent
when typing faster (mainly because a hang only ever happens directly
after having pressed a key).

> It looks like we need to make another round in the game of guessing at
> oddities that Fedora Linux might have installed.
Yes please. How can I be of assistance (as apparently the only person
having this kind of issue ;) ... maybe I should just buy a new computer,
however, Fedora Linux is my preferred Platform, so maybe as soon as I
get my hands on a different machine having Fedora installed -- which
might take some time -- I should check whether this is specific to *my*
laptop or a general issue of Fedora; or did we establish an answer already)?

chris