[isabelle-dev] GTK look-and-feel on Linux

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Wed Sep 11 17:17:54 CEST 2013

Readers of the changeset history might have noticed that recent entry:

changeset:   53260:0460d6962ced
user:        wenzelm
date:        Thu Aug 29 09:16:03 2013 +0200
files:       NEWS
GTK+ works better due to avoidance of default list view popups;

There seems to be a common JList layout problem with Swing GTK+
look-and-fell that does not happen in the renovated completion popup,
probably due to its explicit use of JEdit_Lib.window_geometry.

I have myself started using GTK+ L&F on Xubuntu some weeks ago -- it looks
a bit more like Linux looks today (even though GTK is very old, and the
Swing version of it has some snags).

Trying again on regular Ubuntu, I've noticed that plain Swing tooltip
locations get confused after moving the main editor window -- e.g.
tooltips over "Symbols" dockable buttons.

So it looks like not quite ready for prime time -- the default L&F of
Isabelle/jEdit on Linux is still Nimbus.  (On Windows and Mac OS X it is
the "native" one, if the official application bundle is used.)