[isabelle-dev] [isabelle] Problem "exception TYPE raised: Loose bound variable"

Lawrence Paulson lp15 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Oct 15 16:44:40 CEST 2013

It makes sense to move this discussion to the developers' list, as it concerns the release candidate.

In an attempt to get to the bottom of this problem a little, I applied a series of single-step commands, resulting in an expression that is almost legible. Simplifying this expression yields the same exception. However, one further command (removing the surrounding expression "%u. add_vars_sum (vas, u)") eliminates the error.

The entire proof can also be done in a single line by the command

	apply (simp cong del: if_cong)

So I am guessing that the bug lies within the congruence solver.

I hope that these clues will allow somebody to get to the bottom of it.

Larry Paulson