[isabelle-dev] Isabelle2013-2 release

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Thu Nov 21 14:07:41 CET 2013

On Thu, 21 Nov 2013, Lars Hupel wrote:

>> In an earlier message on this thread, you have posted a patch. However,
>> I cannot apply this patch to the development repository, nor does the
>> revision "db3d3d99c69d", which your patch refers to, exist.
>
> I suppose db3d3d99c69d is the id of the patch itself, and it has already been
> applied on top of Isabelle/75623b4d6251 in the release repository:
> <https://bitbucket.org/isabelle_project/isabelle-release/commits/all>

Yes, this is the present situation.

When I posted the changeset it merely existed in its own right, without
being publicly available on any of the official Isabelle repository
clones.  It did identify itself as db3d3d99c69d and its parent as
75623b4d6251, though, and the parent was already public and merged on the
post-release repository.

Later I pushed the changeset on
https://bitbucket.org/isabelle_project/isabelle-release such that its
history monotonically grew to include it.  This is a non-destructive gain
of information. Much later, the isabelle-release needs to come back on the
isabelle development repository in another monotonic operation, to
re-unify our grand history.

This is just very basic shuffling of temporarily diverging repository
clones.  I am glad that we don't do this very often, and that we don't
make it an art in its own right, because it requires additional efforts to
manage such a "multiverse" of history.