[isabelle-dev] adhoc overloading

Christian Sternagel c.sternagel at gmail.com
Thu May 30 05:31:44 CEST 2013

Dear Florian,

On 05/30/2013 06:03 AM, Florian Haftmann wrote:
> Hi Christian,
>> - For Overload_Data instead of Theory_Data, I should use Generic_Data
>> (such that it is available in top-level theories and local theories).
>> Currently that means that I do the following in the setup (where
>> Adhoc_Overloading.setup is now of type "Context.generic ->
>> Context.generic").
>>
>>    setup {* fn thy =>
>>      Adhoc_Overloading.setup (Context.Theory thy)
>>      Context.theory_of *}
>>
>> This looks strange, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong / non-canonical.
>
> I think Adhoc_Overloading.setup should stay theory -> theory: this is
> the installation of the necessary syntax check phases, which is done
> once globally on import of the corresponding theory – unlike the dynamic
> addition via add_overloaded and add_variant
Sorry, my question should have been: how to apply a function of type
"Generic.context -> Generic.context" in a situation where "theory ->
theory" is expected (the former type comes from using Generic_Data, and
the latter is what "setup" should have). In the meanwhile I found

   Context.theory_map: (Context.generic -> Context.generic) -> theory ->
theory

> Alternatively, use Context.>> directly in the body of the ML file
> (which, I guess, is nowadays preferred over explicit setup in the
> surrounding theory).
Thanks for the hint. I'm now using "Context.>>" instead of a setup
function called from a thy-file.

>> - Apparently "constants" (in the sense of locally fixed variables of a
>> local theory) are represented as "term"s rather than "string"s (in the
>> notation command). In adhoc_overloading.ML, until now we used "string"s
>> to represent top-level constants. A change (if really necessary) implies
>> the following questions:
>
> It depends how far you want to push the game.
>
> * The simplest one I can imagine is to stay on the »constant as string«
> level, but have declarations within local theories;  if these would be
> morphed e.g. due to interpretation, they would only be kept if their
> resulting shape is again a constant.
>
> * Treat one component as general term appropriately (maybe the variant?).
>
> * Treat both components as general term appropriately.
My naive approach was to just turn the previous Symtabs into Termtabs,
i.e., previously:

   internalize : (string * typ) list Symtab.table
   (*maps overloaded constants to lists of variants (together with their
type)*)
   externalize : string Symtab.table
   (*maps variants to corresponding overloaded constants*)

(An aside: I'm leaning towards renaming those two tables and related
functions as follows:

   internalize ~> variant_tab
   externalize ~> oconst_tab

which would make more sense to me, but maybe the old naming has a
Isabelle-specific reason I'm not aware of?)

As a first attempt I just changed this into

   variant_tab : term list Termtab.table (*we can get the type of a term*)
   oconst_tab : term Termtab.table

But of course that is not what I intended, since types are now also
inspected when looking up a key in a table, but at least for overloaded
constants only their name is important. This seems to point towards one
of your first two suggestions. The first one, would require the least
amount of changes (and would allow to print readable error messages).
The question is whether I'm asking for problems, when I treat "Free"
variables (i.e., "constants" in local theories) and "Const"s both as
strings? Any opinions?

A related question. Until now I can only register overloaded constants
and variants via the ML interface, since the "adhoc_overloading" command
I implemented does not seem to effect the surrounding theory. I will
have a look at "notation" again to see how functions of type
"local_theory -> local_theory" are able to make "non-local" changes
persistent, i.e., update the tables in my Generic_Data. Maybe somebody
does already have suggestions in that respect?

cheers

chris