[isabelle-dev] I don't understand isatest AFP report

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Fri May 17 17:38:57 CEST 2013

On Thu, 16 May 2013, Makarius wrote:

>    /* return code */
>
>    val rc = (0 /: results)({ case (rc1, (_, res)) => rc1 max res.rc })

>>> Basically the Isabelle build executable should follow the usual
>>> conventions of return codes:
>>>
>>>  0: all fine
>>>  1: program error, e.g. some sessions failed / remains outdated
>>>  2: systemic failure, e.g. some unexpected exception within the JVM
>>
>> I should definitely react better to case 2.
>
> 2 should mean anything >= 2.

Yet another refinement: processes that are terminated by POSIX signal
produce rc = 128 + signal_nr.  So an interrupted prover process gives 130,
and thus distorts the above "max" arithmetic of return codes.

I shall probably turn an interrupt stemming from Isabelle/Scala timeout
into regular error 1 of the process being addressed, analogously to what
Isabelle/ML does to turn phyisical (meaningless) Exn.Interrupt into
TimeLimit.TimeOut in certain situations.

Apart from that, the a more explicit isabelle.Build.Result data structure
(or a variant of it) would make applications like heavy-duty AFP test more
clear, without guessing at bit patterns within a byte.