[isabelle-dev] Code export to Haskell and lower-case theory names

Joachim Breitner breitner at kit.edu
Fri Mar 29 23:44:33 CET 2013

Hi,

Am Freitag, den 29.03.2013, 15:32 -0700 schrieb Brian Huffman:

> >> The conventions about theory names and locale/class names are not that
> >> informal.  If you violate them systematically, certain name space policies
> >> will break down.  That is then a "general user error".
> >
> > Are there really things that break if I deviate from the convention?
>
> The main problem I know about is that qualified names can become
> ambiguous: e.g. if "foo.bar.baz" and "bar.boo.baz" are both in scope,
> then "bar.baz" could refer to either of them. The problem is avoided
> if theory names and locale/type/constant names are kept disjoint. See
> also this old thread:
>
> https://mailmanbroy.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/pipermail/isabelle-dev/2011-July/001674.html

but in every case there is a more qualified name that can be used to
identify each entity? I would not consider that a hard problem, just an
annoyance. I read this as “if you deviate from the suggested scheme,
things might become a little bit less convenient, but everything still
works” which I find fair enough.

Greetings,
Joachim

--