[isabelle-dev] Interpretation in arbitrary targets.

Florian Haftmann florian.haftmann at informatik.tu-muenchen.de
Tue Mar 26 21:25:07 CET 2013

Hi Clemens,

nice to hear from you.

Let me add my perspective here, and see how we can converge.

> 2. sublocale and interpretation are more different than it looks:
> interpretation provides inheritance of mixins (or, from the user
> perspective, rewrite morphisms) and it is possible to amend mixins in
> interpretation (currently only through the API).

Yes.  The underlying primitive mechanisms (I tend to follow locale.ML
will always be.

> On the other hand, I see that interpretation in a locale context can
> help working in an incremental fashion in such a context (which I assume
> is the motivation for your patches).
>
> So, what should interpretation in a locale be like?  Currently,
> sublocale is used for two purposes:
>
> a) relating two locales to each other (such as "a total order is a
> lattice")
>
> b) import (a typically small number of) lemmas, which are needed for
> establishing some result, from one locale A into another locale B

Ack.  I tend to compare a) with a watering can.  There is currently no
chance to achieve b) except inside proofs.  b) would be one of the most
important use cases for locales also, since the watering can is only
appropriate in very »canonical« situations, type classes being one
prominent case.  In my terminology, I tend to call a) »subscription«, to
emphasize the permanent character.

But note that in my way of thinking, the current »interpretation« and
was first considering to rename the target-sensitive interpretation
command »subscription«.  However the name does not so much matter for
be kept apart since they are implemented by different means
are about: abstract over the common essence.  That the underlying
primitive mechanisms also allow different things should not bother here:
e.g. you can add axioms to global theories but not to locales, but this
does not invalidate the local theory concept either.

> 1. sublocale modifies the locale graph of the underlying theory.  This
> is a big change and shouldn't happen as a side effect of a command in a
> target context.

Changing the underlying target is the essence of commands in target
contexts – in the case of interpretation (in …), it is not a side
effect, but the central issue.  You might argue that »interpretation«
suggests a different thing, but maybe then we have to choose a different
name for that, see above.

But see now how scenario b) would integrate into my design.  Recently
the local theory concept has been enriched with free-floating contexts