[isabelle-dev] NEWS: dockable window for Isabelle documentation

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Tue Jun 25 21:23:56 CEST 2013

*** Prover IDE -- Isabelle/Scala/jEdit ***

* Dockable window "Documentation" provides access to Isabelle
documentation.

This refers to Isabelle/e09e1091394d.  It makes it more difficult to
ignore our fine manuals -- just the Reference Manuals are presently at
approx. 500 pages (and mostly up-to-date).

A slight oddity on OS X Mountain Lion is addressed in e09e1091394d: the
default PDF_VIEWER now uses Safari instead of Preview (default), since the
latter was opening all recent files again whenever a new documentation
file was requested.  This is probably normal OS X Application behaviour,
but I've found it very confusing.  Safari seems to be a bit different
here, maybe just as an accident.

Actual Mac users are welcome to suggest better ways for the basic task to
open some PDF file from the command line, with the least possible surprise
for users -- on Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion.  (On Mountain Lion the
recent option "open -F" seems to help, but that is unavailable on Snow
Leopard.)