[isabelle-dev] type unification

Christian Sternagel c.sternagel at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 05:12:14 CEST 2013

Dear list,

what is the proper way of obtaining a type from a term, in case I want
to give it as argument to Sign.typ_unify (of Sign.typ_match for that
matter)?

My question arises as follows. In adhoc_overloading.ML previously
Sign.the_const_type was used to obtain the type of a constant. The
result is a type with schematic type variables. Now that I want to use
terms instead of constants (as strings) I replaced Sign.the_const_type
by fastype_of, but this yields a type with fixed type variables and thus
unification may fail. So once again: What is the proper way of getting a
"schematic" type from a term?

cheers

chris