[isabelle-dev] Oracle

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Wed Feb 27 13:51:18 CET 2013

Attentive readers of general IT / software news might have noticed two
details:

   * JDK 1.7 is under constant attack and Oracle is shipping patched
versions like crazy.  They are now at 7u15, but I did not follow that
update, because it only affects scurity of applets and application
servers.  Note that Oracle once again did not manage to fill all known
holes, so 7u17 will probably arrive very soon.

   * JDK 1.8 was planned as "developer preview" last week, but they had to
postpone it for at least 6 weeks.  "General availability" of Java 8 is
Sept. 2013 according to the official plan, but I don't think they will
keep this date.

Oracle is just small and poor software company.  They are not as fast and
realiable as we usually are for Isabelle, and David Matthews is for
Poly/ML.