[isabelle-dev] [isabelle] the sound of a sledgehammer

Lawrence Paulson lp15 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Feb 14 18:22:55 CET 2013

I would like to brainstorm some ideas for how to do sledgehammer in jEdit, but for this we need to move to the development mailing list.

One problem with the current approach is that one actually types "sledgehammer" in the proof document. That isn't how the document model is supposed to work, because it fixes on one current place, and the text you type doesn't actually belong there anyway.

In a dream scenario, one might imagine opening a document containing a number of occurrences of "sorry", and each one of these occurrences would be given to counterexample finders and to sledgehammer, without any specific user intervention. Then somehow any counterexamples or proofs that were found would be noted somehow, and the user could inspect these.

I recognise this idea isn't even half baked. But I know that you want to look at these problems differently from just saying, "how did it work in Proof General"? And the idea of having a whole bunch of gaps checked (as it were) simultaneously is very appealing.

Larry