[isabelle-dev] New (Co)datatypes: Status & Plan (FYI)

Andrei Popescu uuomul at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 6 12:12:48 CEST 2013

Hi Alex,

Many thanks for your enthusiasm!

> I'd like to learn about corecursion up-to, which I have not come across so
> far. Are there any good references for this?

A good early account of the up-to techniques at the level of generality we are interested in is Bartels's
generalized coinduction:

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.13.4178&rep=rep1&type=pdf

There have been many later developments, including very recent work by Stefan Milius:
http://www8.cs.fau.de/~milius/publications/papers.html
(see there "Abstract GSOS rules and a Modular Treatment of Recursive Definitions")

>>  Or should I rather have a beer with Andrei?

Yes, let us definitely have a beer.

Corec-up-to seems to mesh well with the function package.
For now, what we can handle are function definitions such as the following, where nat_stream
is the type of streams of naturals, + is either nat addition or componentwise nat-stream addition,
and SCons is "stream cons".

f : nat -> nat_stream
where
n > 10 ==> f n = f (n - 1) + SCons (f (n + 17))

n <= 10 ==> f n = SCons (f (n + 13)) + SCons (f (n + 11) + f n)

With the function package, we find that all (co)recursive calls become eventually guarded (in a properly uniform context),
and then use corec-upto.

Jasmin has ideas on how to go way beyond this, but let's see if "LCF" can keep up with him.    :-)

Best regards,
   Andrei