[isabelle-dev] NEWS: Case translations as a separate check phase independent of the datatype package

Dmitriy Traytel traytel at in.tum.de
Tue Apr 16 11:28:44 CEST 2013

Hi Brian,

this is indeed somehow complicated.

Almost everything in the new shallow syntax translation and in the new
check phase destructs and constructs the function type. An example is
the print translation case_tr' in "~/src/HOL/Tools/case_translation.ML"
which relies on Sign.add_advanced_trfuns to destruct the functional
arguments to the syntactic constant "case_guard".

I see two possible solutions:

1) Code duplication with appropriate handling of Rep_cfun and Abs_cfun
(parameterizing everything with functions like strip_comb/dest_comb is
not feasable IMO).
2) Shallow syntactic translation of constants over continuous functions
into unspecified (syntactic) constants over functions, which is reverted
in a check phase after being processed by the case translation phase.
The attached theory shows how this could look like (the check phase is
really ad-hoc there, one would need to know precisely what functions are
supposed to be converted back to continuous functions).

However, both alternatives seem not to be very clean.

Dmitriy