[isabelle-dev] Private modifier and qualifiers [was Interpretation in arbitrary targets.]

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Fri Apr 12 21:50:13 CEST 2013

On Sun, 7 Apr 2013, Clemens Ballarin wrote:

> Quoting Makarius <makarius at sketis.net>:
>
>> On Tue, 26 Mar 2013, Florian Haftmann wrote:
>>
>> Note that we have one more aspect in the back-end that could help here: the
>> 'private' modifier.
>
> What would the 'private' modifier do in general?  This sounds like a new
> concept.

It has been in the pipeline only for approx. 4 years.

The basic idea is to control superficial visibility of formal entities
(name space accesses, notation, abbreviations, probably anything that is
managed formally as 'syntax_declaration' -- this also has a special status
in the bootstrapping of complex locale expressions, as you probably
remember).

I think there will be no impact on logical aspects here, so foundations,
derived consequences, hints for proof tools (simp, intro, elim, iff) will
be unaffected.  Controlling that separately might or might not be a
related agenda -- it is likely to be technically quite different.  One
could need a separate 'local' modifier at some point, but this is hard to
anticipate right now.

Note that the question came up here for local contexts, especially
unnamed contexts.  For example: