[isabelle-dev] typedef (open) legacy

Florian Haftmann florian.haftmann at informatik.tu-muenchen.de
Thu Oct 4 19:01:42 CEST 2012

> I think either option 3 or 4 would make sense, although I'd say 4 is
> preferable for a couple of reasons: First, it makes the implementation
> of typedef simpler. Second, it actually gives users more flexibility
> because if they want a set constant, they can use any definition
> package, not just "definition". The extra verbosity in some cases is a
> small price to pay.

I would support (4).  In the long run, typedef should be the bare
foundational minimum for introducing HOL types, whereas all user-level
features could go to a command type_definition with support for the
quotient package, reasonable user-level rules, code generator setup etc.

	Florian

--

PGP available: