[isabelle-dev] Mira settings

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Mon Oct 1 11:37:48 CEST 2012

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012, Florian Haftmann wrote:

>> The main thing where mira is lagging behind is that it still relies on
>> old contrib_devel. This is not so easy, since I do not want to reinstall
>> components on every build. But using a central location raises
>> concurrency issues and requires at least some basic locking...
>
> It is still possible to share components via NFS by using patchting to
> /home/isabelle/contrib instead of /home/isabelle/contrib_devel.  This is
> what is done also in the updated but not yet productive templates.  The
> only thing which remains is to update the components there on demand.

This detail is still unclear to me as component provider.  What I did so
far is to maintain the following places manually:

   /home/isabelle/components/
   /home/isabelle/contrib/
   Admin/components/main
   Admin/component_repository/components.sha1

Sometimes I also made a second copy in the old/obsolete
/home/isabelle/contrib_devel directory, sometimes not.

If we assume that the maintainers of a component are also responsible for
the installation in /home/isabelle/components/ and /home/isabelle/contrib/
there should not be any concurrency problem.  Anybody else, in particular
the mira processes, would only read from the central directory.